According to attorney rating and comparison website, AVVO, there are now at least seven once-notable credibility claims for attorneys that no longer carry value in the minds of consumers:
1. “I have 20 years of experience practicing law.” If you narrow your search down to only lawyers who have at least 20 years of experience practicing law, you will still be left with an unmanageably long list. The market is so saturated with this claim, it no longer means much to those in the market for an attorney.
2. “I am aggressive and will fight hard for you.” This claim is generalized and not measurable or verifiable. It is quite unlikely that any attorney is going to claim that they are afraid to stand up for their clients.
3. “I’m a former prosecutor,” or “I’m a former public defender.” Many, many criminal defense attorneys start off their careers as assistant prosecuting attorneys, prosecuting attorneys, or public defenders. This claim no longer makes an attorney stand out from the rest.
4. “Board-certified,” or “Million-dollar advocate.” Claims like “board-certified” and “million-dollar advocate” are industry terms that mean nothing to the average person who is looking to hire an attorney. These qualifications may impress other lawyers but they are not going to resonate with people in the market for legal services.
5. “I am available 24/7.” Room service is available 24/7; people of high stature are not. Offering your services on-demand and around the clock cheapens them and gives off an appearance of desperation that does not serve you well, as a professional.
6. “I graduated from a prestigious law school.” The vast majority of potential clients are not familiar with the differences between law schools. Everyone who wishes to practice law is required to graduate from law school, so specifying which law school you attended is not going to make much of a difference in the minds of most people.
None of the above credibility claims any longer give a potential client the motivation to choose you versus another attorney. Attorney marketing in the US is evolving quickly and it is all too easy to be left behind. A reputable law firm marketing company can provide you with tools, including but not limited to SEO for lawyers, to make your law firm stand out from the crowd without resorting to invasive, offensive, or desperate maneuvers.
Copyright © 2009-2021 www.SpeakeasyMarketingInc.com. All Rights Reserved.